Inside LINK is a weekly column from our CEO, Lacy Starling. If you have questions you’d like Lacy to answer, email her at [email protected].
Welcome to LINK! Last week, I offered you the position of Chief Content Officer, and since you came back to read the column again this week, I can only assume that you accepted.
One of the things we do for folks on their first day at LINK is give them a list of expectations – what they need to do in their first 90 days to be successful in their new role. It creates a roadmap for success, and also a framework so new hires don’t feel completely lost as they begin work.
Since you are officially a part of LINK now, having accepted this (unpaid) position, I thought it might be useful for us to do the same. What do we expect from you, our reader, as our new Chief Content Officer?
- Consume the content: Read our articles, listen to our podcasts (more of those are coming in 2023), watch our video content, subscribe to the print edition, sign up for the daily email newsletter.
- Share the content: See something someone else might like? Share it with them. It seems hard to believe, but there are still folks in NKY who haven’t heard of us, and don’t know that we are here, covering the issues that are important to the community.
- Send us tips: If you see something newsworthy, let us know! We love to get tips from the community, because it multiplies our resources exponentially. We have 10 folks in the newsroom looking for news – they can only be so many places at once. If we have folks int the community letting us know what is happening, it’s like having 100 people in the newsroom. Email tips to [email protected].
- Give us feedback: Let us know how we’re doing. Love something we wrote? Tell us. Hate something we wrote? Tell us. Think we missed the boat on an important issue? I think you get the picture. If you don’t let us know how we’re doing…we won’t know how we’re doing. My email is always open, and I respond to every email I receive about our coverage. Send me your thoughts at [email protected].
- Come to Office Hours: If you have time, drop in on our reporters in their Office Hours. Every Wednesday, from 10:30 – 11:30, every member of our editorial team is somewhere in NKY, having coffee and waiting to meet you. We’re even going to experiment in February with later Office Hours – perhaps 5-6 p.m. – to see if that makes it easier for folks to stop by.
- Attend our events: In 2023, we’re going to have two types of events (at least). First, we’ll be continuing our Bourbon & Bylines events, which are fundraisers for the NKY Community Journalism Fund that powers our public-interest reporting. Second, we’re going to start holding Focus Groups, where our readers can come together and share feedback on our reporting. If you are interested in those, sign up to receive notifications here.
I think that’s a good start for your first 90 days. We’ll check back in at the beginning of April to see how things are going.
In all seriousness, we are truly reliant on you to make sure we’re on the right track with our coverage at LINK. Every email, phone call, social media comment, news tip, criticism and bit of praise we get helps us refine our work, and meet our Mission. Your engagement is critical to our success, and we appreciate it.
Happy New Year, and here’s to a successful, and informative 2023.